2014 m. spalio 19 d., sekmadienis

Vacation part two – Dubrovnik, Split and Zadar

main target of my vacation was to see Dubrovnik. I heard good reviews from friends plus saw a lot of beautiful photos and also thought it's great idea to start south and head up during the week.
Dubrovnik  was truly beautiful, but i think i would have enjoyed it much more without so many people. Now i kinda understand why my friends don't like Venice. Most of the time i felt like in Česky Krumlov a.k.a. medieval postcard and the only difference was see - small streets made of stone, stairs, castle, cheap souvenirs made for stupid tourists, fountains and huge overpricing. I didn't have place to stay before arrivals, but checked some suggestions on Hostelworld and went for suggested guesthouse just across main bus station which watch just perfect - cheap, clean and quiet. Weather during my stay there was amazing so i was mentally kicking myself for not taking any shorts or skirt (city so overpriced that there were no clothes shop except designer boutiques). It's something which is hard to explain, but this city just had extremely calming atmosphere - one could easily spent hours on bench near port just watching ships... I also witnessed filming of "Game of thrones" when part of old town was closed for waving of Lannister flags. A bit sad thing was that it was one cities where i didn't meat any locals as it seemed like there is none - only tourists and seasonal workers making money from stupid tourists. So on third morning i took bus to Split.
Split has amazing port promenade. I also was stunned by beauty of old town and how roman it looked - stones and columns everywhere and even map of Use-It map telling about historical places.
Based on recommendations from that map i had amazing lunch in local restaurant (pasta with shrimps - mmmm....), swam in the beach (first time this year!) and then to meat my couch surfing host. Staying there was lots of fun - meeting different people, having few drinks and just talking night away. And then coffee in the port.
My last and probably favorite stop was Zadar - mostly for architecture, people, low number of tourist and beautiful seaside. If I'd study in university by with view to sea i believe my results won't be so good. I stayed in "Four corners" hostel there which was very nice, although really loud in the mornings. Also found companion - guy from Koln, Germany so we hung around on my second day there - saw all famous spots in town, had coffee and breakfast, found good beer (extreme challenge in Croatia - beer there is horrible) and just had great time. Then the tine came for me to leave for Zagreb and night bus home. I appreciated my bed much more after missing it for a week.